Hormones are involved in a multitude of different bodily processes. When we have hormonal balance, all of our bodily functions are in sync and working properly. When even one hormone is imbalanced, we can have a slue of irregulations that affect our every day lives. Precise symptom presentation is dependent on the specific hormone imbalance and can vary widely from person to person. Some common signs and symptoms that you might be having a hormonal imbalance are as follows:
- Lack of energy, fatigue, and sleep problems
- Mood swings, irritability, and depression
- Brain fog and memory issues
- Decreased libido
- Weight gain and fluid retention
- Menstrual issues
- Thinning hair and skin issues
- Joint pain and muscle weakness
- Slow wound healing
Balancing hormones is a complex process, but there are holistic changes you can make to help the process. This includes:
- Dietary changes: consuming foods rich in fiber to facilitate estrogen release, and foods rich in fatty acids, phytonutrients and glucosinolates such as cabbage and broccoli. Increasing intake of vitamin B, C and D which are vital to the production of hormones. Foods to avoid that put excess stress on the adrenal glands are caffeine, alcohol and processed foods.
- Reduce Stress: when we have elevated levels of cortisol, the “stress hormone,” it causes hormonal imbalances of the thyroid and sex hormones. Ways to effectively decrease stress are meditation, deep breathing exercises and getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
- Regular Exercise: consistent cardiovascular exercise of 30-60 minutes a day is proven to decrease blood pressure and increase the release of oxytocin, serotonin and endorphins.
- Chiropractic Care: adjustments stimulate proper communication of the brain to the body. Adjustments release endorphins which help patients relax, decrease pain and chronic illness. By having a proper functioning nervous system, the body is able to innervate all parts of the body effectively and maintain homeostasis.
Benefits of balancing your hormones include but are not limited to:
- Increased energy
- Better moods and improved emotional stability
- Improved focus and concentration
- A revitalized sex drive
- Improved sleep quality
- Better weight control and healing
Dr. Hemmer MS, DC, CCSP