Position Instructions: Extend neck up and hold for 30 seconds then release. Do this daily.
Position Instructions: Do the same as week one and continue for the rest of your life! Add Burnout: Extend neck up and down- like in the pictures above- as many times as you can until you “burn out.” Do this twice a week. (Example: Mondays and Thursdays)
Do not attempt these without direction from your doctor.
The Superman Series is designed to strengthen the muscles on the back of your body, including the arms, shoulders, neck, upper, mid, and lower back, and the gluteals. If you do a lot of sitting and have weak back muscles, these exercises will be especially beneficial. Remember, good neck and upper back posture starts by sitting and standing with a strong, balanced position of the lower back. The superman series is very demanding. If you have a spondylolisthesis, do NOT perform these exercises.
Superman Flying: Week 1
- Lie on your stomach with your arms by your side, palms down.
- With your neck extended, raise your head, arms, and legs as high as possible; try not to bend your knees.
- Hold for 15 seconds.
- Perform 1 repetition each day for Week 1.
Superman Flying: Week 2
- Same Superman Flying exercise as Week 1, adding one rep to your set.
- Perform 1 set of 2 repetitions each day for Week 2.
- Rest for 10 seconds between reps.
- Next week, we’ll do what we call “Burn-out”. Get ready!
Burn Out: Week 3 and Thereafter
Same Superman Flying exercises as Week 2 (1 set of 2 reps.)
- Perform the Superman Flying quickly (without holding), as many times as you can, until you tire.
- Then, relax legs and move hands to chest.
- Extend neck up and down as many times as you can until you “burn-out”.
Repeat the Superman Flying and Burn-Out exercises every other day until you are 100!